Research the French National Anthem
French Language Learners– Inspired by Carmen Sandiego™ Episode 9, kids look into the meaning and history behind the French national anthem.
What Song Distracts YOU?
In Episode 9, Agent Devineaux is captured by VILE. To keep himself occupied, he sings the French national anthem. Kids answer questions and learn more about the national song.
Kids look into the French national anthem.
Estimated time: 15-20 minutes
Materials needed: Writing supplies and Internet access
- Have kids research the name of the French anthem. (La Marseillaise)
- Have them find and transcribe the first stanza and the chorus of the anthem (from “Allons, enfants” to “abreuve nos sillons”). Then play that section of the song from an online source and have kids sing along as they read the lyrics they’ve transcribed.
- Have kids research the history behind this song: Around what time was it created? (at the end of the 18th century) What did it come to symbolize in French history? (the French Revolution)
- Have volunteers present their findings to the class.
- Ask kids why Devineaux chooses to sing this particular anthem. (He is French.)
What is the French Connection?
French Language Learners– Inspired by Carmen Sandiego Episode 9, kids answer questions about France.
Find the Perfect Hideout
French Language Learners– Inspired by Carmen Sandiego Episode 9, kids try to locate the best French-speaking hideouts.