Guide: Who in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?
This guide offers discussion questions for the novel,
Discuss Carmen Sandiego’s Origin Story
Kids read about Carmen’s time as a VILE academy student in the novel, Who in the World Is Carmen Sandiego? As a group, discuss the different characters and events in the story and think about Carmen’s choices.
- Why is Carmen given the code name “Black Sheep”? What would your code name be?
- Does Carmen seem like a real student or a prisoner at VILE Academy? Why?
- Why does Carmen hope that Coach Brunt is the one who found her? Why do you think Coach Brunt won’t tell her?
- Why does Carmen want to leave the island so much? Do you think she has good reasons?
- Carmen takes a big risk stealing the phone to talk to Player. Why do you think she does this? Would you?
- How do you think Carmen feels when she finds out the true mission of VILE Academy?
- Would you enjoy going to a school like VILE Academy? Why or why not?
- Which VILE class would you enjoy most and why?
- If you could be any of Carmen’s classmates, who would you be and why?
- What countries or places do you think Carmen should visit next?
- If you have watched the show, did you see any differences between the book and the show?
- What did you like best about the book? What did you like best about the show?