Create Animal Trading Cards
French Language Learners– Inspired by Carmen Sandiego™ Episode 6, kids create trading cards about Australian animals.
Choose Your Animal!
In Episode 6, Carmen learns about different animals in Australia. Kids pick one of these animals and make their own trading card.
Kids make trading cards based on animals in Australia.
Estimated time: 10-15 minutes
Materials needed: Writing supplies, internet access, a bilingual dictionary
- Explain that Australia is home to many amazing creatures. Provide kids with a list of Australian animals in French, such as le koala, le kangourou, le walaby, le wombat, le dingo, le diable de Tasmanie, l’ornithorynque, l’échidné, l’émeu, le Kookaburra, le crocodile.
- Have kids select an Australian animal to make a trading card for. They should find an image of the animal for the front of their trading card. On the back, they should list facts about the animal in French, including its habitat, food, predators, and other interesting details. Kids should have access to print and/or online resources, such as an encyclopedia and a bilingual dictionary, to conduct their research.
- Organize kids in groups and have them trade their cards in French
- Moi, j’ai un koala. Qu’est-ce que tu as?
- Moi, j’ai un crocodile.
- Je voudrais échanger mon koala contre ton crocodile.
- After about 10 minutes, have volunteers tell in French which animals they ended up with in their new set of cards. Have other volunteers pick a favorite animal from their cards and give a short presentation about that animal, based on what is written on the back of the card.