Learn About Medieval Churches
French Language Learners – Inspired by Carmen Sandiego™, Episode 1, kids find medieval churches in Poitiers, France through French language sites.
Where Could They Be?
In Episode 1, Agent Argent says, “Poitiers is rich with medieval history. Perhaps Carmen Sandiego is targeting a priceless antique or a cultural artifact from one of its many churches.” Kids work to find these historical churches Agent Argent speaks about.
Kids present one of the medieval churches to the class.
Estimated Time: 30-45 minutes
Materials Needed: Internet access, a map, writing supplies
- Have kids research medieval churches in Poitiers, France. Encourage them to search French-speaking sites. You might suggest the keywords “églises médiévales de Poitiers” to start their search.
- Have kids list as many medieval churches as possible.
- Ask students to choose one church and note important details about it, including its style, when it was built, and where it is located in the city. Have them include details that distinguish this church from others.
- Have students use their notes to write a brief presentation in French.
- Have several volunteers present the church of their choice to the class.
- Lastly, ask them which Poitiers site Carmen mentions in Part 1. (la cathédrale Saint-Pierre)